Loving the environment and all it's creatures!

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Dad's Chili Recipe - Veganized


I always loved my dad's chili recipe and have missed it since becoming vegan.  I have tried different ground beef substitutes and have been disappointed by the aftertaste.  Gardein's Beefless Ground is the best I have tried.  I found it at Target.


There is some chopping involved but it is a really easy recipe.  When I made this batch, all the memories of yesteryear came back.  Loved it!  I hope you do too.  Here is dad's recipe veganized.

Dad's East Coast Chili

2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
6 oz. can tomato paste
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 t. celery seed
1/4 t. cayenne
1 t. ground cumin
1 small bay leaf
2 T. chili powder (yes, tablespoons!)
1 t. dried basil
1  1/2 t. salt
---
13.7 oz. bag of Gardein Beefless Ground, defrosted
1  1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 - 15 oz. cans kidney beans (including their juice)


Add the first 13 ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Stir and lower heat to low-medium and simmer for 45 minutes.  Add the last 3 ingredients and simmer for another 1/2 hour.

2 comments: