Loving the environment and all it's creatures!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fancy Pasta Salad

I've made this pasta salad forever... before I became vegan.  The only item I had to change?  Mayo became Vegenaise.  You probably have a lot of old family recipes that can be easily converted.  

Fancy Pasta Salad is a great side-dish or entree.  This is a flexible recipe.  If you don't have some of the ingredients in your cupboard, try adding something else.  Fabulous recipes come from necessary substitutions.

I like to use the artichoke hearts bottled in oil but canned in water is fine too.  Use any vegan vinaigrette that you like.  I also change up the pasta shapes.  In this picture, I used rotini and orecchiette.  Farfalle, medium shells, etc. would all be excellent choices.

Fancy Pasta Salad

1 lb. pasta (rotini is good)
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup black olives, sliced
2 cups artichoke hearts, sliced lengthwise
3 T. capers
½ cup Kraft Balsamic Vinaigrette
½ cup Vegenaise
½ t. salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half

Boil the pasta according to package directions and drain.  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and chill.  I add the tomatoes last, after stirring other ingredients, so that they won’t break down too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment