Loving the environment and all it's creatures!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vegetable Black Bean Soup

On my recent trip to visit family, my sister made an incredible black bean soup.  It had a lot more vegetables than most black bean soups and so much flavor.  I’ve never seen pickled jalapenos used in a soup!  Today I craved this soup but I didn’t have any green peppers.  I made it anyway.  I did have some celery and yellow and orange peppers that were about to go bad.  So, I put those in the pot.  I messed up and drained the black beans before I reread the recipe.  It came out great anyway!  I think the most important part of this recipe are the jalapenos, chipotle and spices.  They give the soup such incredible flavor. 

Vegetable Black Bean Soup
2 T. olive oil
2 medium red onions
2 carrots
1 medium green pepper
1 medium red pepper
2 – 15 oz cans diced tomatoes in juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 t. pickled jalapeno, chopped
2 t. cumin
2 – 15 oz cans black beans with juice
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
1 T chopped chipotle
1 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. chili powder
Salt to taste
Chop and saute the fresh veggies in olive oil until tender.  Add everything else and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro and Tofutti Sour Supreme.  6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment